Thursday, October 23, 2014

When I First Discovered Rug Hooking

I can remember the first time I saw someone "hooking". I was at an auction, there was a woman sitting in a chair creating a beautiful picture with fabric. I watched in amazement as she pulled long strands of fabric from a bundle, they disappeared below the surface of the drawn design, and they suddenly reappeared back on the surface filling in the outlines. I approached her and asked her "what are you making?". She replied that she was making a rug. She briefly explained the process. She reached into her bag and handed me a business card. She was a rug hooking teacher! She invited me to her studio to come and see what it was all about. I couldn't wait to go! The following week, I went to her studio. She patiently sat next to me and demonstrated. I nervously held the hook and started "pulling up loops". It only took a few minutes and I was "hooked"!! I signed up for her class and bought my first kit. I looked forward to each week! What a wonderful time we had each week: learning, sharing, laughing and creating! That teacher was Jacqueline Hansen. I will always be thankful and grateful for everything she has done for me. How and when did you discover rug hooking?

No comments:

Post a Comment